Hosepipe bans and laying turf in Summer
Hosepipe bans in the South East
Sometimes when the weather is particularly dry and hot in the Summer, your water supplier may enforce a hosepipe ban. You should always be able to check the dates and rules of enforcement in your area but be assured that most water companies do allow you to water newly laid turf – usually for 28 days after laying.
Please check for hosepipe ban updates with your local water supplier. Below is some helpful information from the main suppliers in the South East area:
- South East Water hosepipe bans - Temporary Use Ban currently in place, see below for exemptions
- South West Water hosepipe bans - currently no bans in place, check here for updates
- Thames Water hosepipe bans -Temporary Use Ban currently in place - see below for exemptions
South East Water hosepipe bans
*Kent and Sussex – hosepipe ban planned from 12th August 2022*
“Exemptions - you may use a hosepipe to water your garden if:
- watering of new lawns for first 28 days after being laid and when undertaken outside of daily peak hours that occur 8am to 10am and 5pm to 9pm.”
“Can domestic customers water their newly laid turf?
You may use a hosepipe to water newly laid turf in domestic gardens for 28 days after planting/laying in order to help them establish. In order to do so you must be able to provide evidence of that date on which the gardening work was completed. Failure to do so and watering for longer than 28 days will be considered a breach of the conditions of the temporary use ban. However we would ask if possible to wait for cooler weather to lay new turf when we expect to see demand for water reduce.”
Link: https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/about/updates/tubs-faqs (Outdoors)
“I am a landscape gardener/turf grass grower – can I water newly laid turf?
A newly laid piece of turf can be watered for 28 days from the date it was laid down. You must be able to provide evidence of the date of completion of works if we ask for it. We are conscious of the adverse effect the TUB has had on some of our commercial customers and we wanted to alleviate that proportionally.”
Link: https://www.southeastwater.co.uk/about/updates/tubs-faqs (Commercials, schools and farms)
Thames Water hosepipe bans
*Hosepipe ban in place from 24th August 2022*
"The following uses are excepted from the prohibitions. Those who meet the requirements below can continue to use water without having to make representations to Thames Water to receive permission.
- Using a hosepipe to water a garden or to water plants on domestic or other non-commercial premises where such watering is restricted to newly laid turf, newly sown lawns, newly planted trees, shrubs and plants where the laying, sowing or planting has been carried out as a service to customers in the course of a business. This exemption only applies for a period of 28 days from the day of planting, sowing or turf laying;"
It is possible to lay new lawn turf in the hot Summer months
The key to laying new turf when the weather is hot and dry is to ensure the ground is prepared and the turf is installed correctly.
Preparation and installation
Follow our how to guides to ensure you prepare the ground and install the lawn turf in the best way when the weather is dry.
Make sure you plan your delivery or collection so that the turf can be installed as soon as it arrives at your property or site, during Summer. On our website, or via phone - you can book a delivery on your selected available date. Turf is harvested up to 24 hours prior to delivery and we store the turf in specialised conditions to keep it cool and contain the moisture as much as possible before it is delivered to you.
Why we use Rolawn Medallion Turf
This video explains how our unique, patented Profresh®System extends the shelf life of turf by up to three times its normal shelf life and the benefits to customers. Click here to find out more about Rolawn's Profresh System.